Sunday, March 17, 2013

ModCloth Return Experience

ModCloth: Vintage and Unique Style

ModCloth sells vintage and vintage-style clothing.  My wife ordered a few items from the ModCloth website for her birthday.  I don't know much about fashion, but I do know that my wife rarely buys clothes online and seemed excited about the unique and vintage styles she found at ModCloth.  Apparently these are not things you could pick up at your local shopping mall.

ModCloth invoice close-up
ModCloth Invoice
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher

The Package Arrives

The package arrived promptly, but we intercepted the package and hid it away for a few days until my wife's birthday arrived.  We didn't want her to open it by mistake before her birthday.  It would be hard to mistake this package for any other- the box had a wood grain print and the distinctive ModCloth logo with mushrooms in light blue.


ModCloth Box with purple logo and white woodgrain design
ModCloth Package Arrives
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher

If the shoe fits...

Everything looked perfect, especially the nice light blue shoes.  They were a European size, and unfortunately happened to be a bit too small.  I would think shoes are hard to order online or via catalog since the fit of shoes varies.  She tried a couple times, but the shoes were simply too small.  Now what?

The Return Experience

It was up to me to try to return the shoes.  Just like it is up to me to take out garbage and go get milk if we run out.  I had never even heard of ModCloth.  I feared that shipping shoes wherever they came from (it turns out ModCloth is based in Pittsburgh) would be expensive.  Would I have to talk with a customer service agent, or even a call center employee, to arrange to return the shoes?  Some companies require a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number in order to send something back.


ModCloth return policy, close-up
ModCloth Return Policy
Image Source: Dr. Penny Pincher

The ModCloth return process turned out to be the best I have ever experienced.  You simply:

  • Go to the ModCloth returns webpage.  This is listed on the invoice.
  • Select your order from the list that is presented when you log in
  • Select the item or items you want to return- just click on the picture of the item you are returning
  • Select a reason for the return from a list
  • Print a shipping label with FREE shipping.  

I noted the 6th bullet on the Return Policy- shoes must be packaged in a larger box so that postage stickers are not applied to the shoe box.  This was no problem- I just placed the shoe box inside the original ModCloth shipping box that was used to ship the shoes to my wife.

All that was left is to tape the shipping label to the box and drop it off at the Post Office or FedEx.  The total process took less than 10 minutes.  I was able to deal with a company I had never heard of to return a product that I was completely unfamiliar with.  All I had to do was look at pictures and click on the thing I wanted to return.  Did I mention that return shipping was also free?  Nice!


Recommended reading:





Penny Pincher Journal
Copyright © 2013 Dr. Penny Pincher.  All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Penny Pincher Posts